A cigarette is to blame for a fire that damaged the back garage next to on Route 117, according to Fire Chief Michael Boles.
The cause was determined by Westchester County's cause and origin team, he said.
Mount Kisco firefighters responded around 2:57 p.m. Thursday and were able to but the fire out in seven minutes, Boles said.
The fire caused damage to the roof of the garage, while sparing the attached main building. Emergency responders reported that there were no injuries.
The high winds happening at the same time, according to Boles, were “no help to these conditions.”
Boles explained that some vehicles got smoke damage and soot.
John Martabano, who owns the property - the address is 283 N. Bedford Rd. - felt that the damage was minimal considering what they had. He also felt that the wind was a problem.
The garage is part of Simone Bros. auto body shop, The Journal News reports.
Martin Cerrone, the dealer's manager, said that he tried to use a fire extinguisher to put out the fire, which didn't work. He was assisted by fellow employee Chris Juerci, who grabbed a hose. Dan Mulryan, an assistant controller, said that he told people to get out the building.
Mutual aide, according to Boles, was provided by the Bedford Hills Fire Department, while Chappaqua's fire department was on stand by. Mount Kisco's volunteer ambulance corps, along with Westchester EMS, were also at the scene.