Two chickens belonging to Douglas Kennedy died on Saturday in a morning fire that damaged a coop on his Mount Pleasant property.
Kennedy, who confirmed the news, said that the remaining eight of his chickens were rescued. He also thanked his neighbors, Manny and Stephanie Gordon for reporting the fire, saying they were "very quick to respond." The residence is located on Bedford Road.
Kennedy, who lives in the Chappaqua postal section of the town, was away for the weekend.
Mount Pleasant Police and the Pleasantville Fire Department responded to the scene. Kennedy said that police rescued the chickens and praised first reponders who were there, saying they did an "unbelievable job."
Police went to the coop while it was still burning, Kennedy said.
"They're an amazing police force," he said, also noting that his children were grateful for their service.
The fire was believed to have been caused by a space heater, and Kennedy described the coop as "pretty damaged." The 10 chickens, kept as pets, were given to the Kennedy family by Pleasantville's Bedford Road School after they hatched for a second-grade class; his child, Rowen, has been enrolled in the school.
The space heater was used to provide warmth, he explained. Meanwhile, the remaining chickens are being housed in another coop.
Mount Pleasant Police Chief Louis Alagno told The Journal News, in its story on the matter, that the report came in at 7:35 a.m. Saturday from a 911 call. Alagno could not be reached for comment on Monday.
Sarah Studley contributed to this article.