A fire in a Mount Kisco home's attached garage was quickly stopped Friday afternoon, according to Fire Chief Tom Jackson.
Firefighters were dispatched at around 2:10 p.m. Friday, to a home at 56 Woodland St. The response came after a neighboring residence reported smoke coming from the garage. The main body of the fire was knocked down within the first five minutes, Jackson said. The fire damage was just in the garage.
“The main body of fire was all confined to the garage," explained Jackson, adding that it was extinguished quickly.
Meanwhile, two dogs were rescued from the home because a neighbor who is also a firefighter knew they were kept as pets.
Holes were made it walls of an upstairs space to prevent an extension, Jackson explained.
The cause was determined to be accidental, Jackson said. It is believed that a resident was doing welding work in the driveway in front of the garage, with a spark getting into the structure and the person not realizing what happened, he explained.
There was nobody at home at the time, Jackson said.
A large amount of debris was brought outside and could be seen in front of the garage as firefighters wound down their work.
Bedford Hills' fire department provided mutual aid on site, while firefighters from Millwood and Ossining were on stand by, Jackson said. About 30-40 people were involved in putting out the fire.
Woodland Street was temporarily blocked off while the fire was being fought.