An early morning fire in Yorktown has gutted a home and left a family homeless.
The fire at 2661 Evergreen St. was reported at about 4:26 a.m. on Friday. Yorktown Heights Fire Chief Chet Swirski told Patch the fire was caused by a faulty electrical outlet that provided power to a pool filter behind the house.
Swirki said a neighbor who was on his way to work noticed the fire this morning and woke up the family that was sleeping inside by knocking on the door.
The five occupants – two parents, two young children and a mother-in-law – safely escaped. There were no injuries but the house is a total loss.
When firefighters got to the scene, the back of the house was fully engulfed and the fire had spread into the house and through the roof. It took 35 firefighters about an hour to extinguish the blaze.
"It was very hectic," Swirski said.
The Bedford Hills Fire Department provided mutual aid to Yorktown. Lake Mohegan and Somers fire departments were on standby.
Yorktown paramedics and Yorktown Volunteer Ambulance Corps were also on the scene.