A house at the intersection of Routes 120 and 133 suffered minor smoke damage Tuesday evening, after a tarp from an ongoing project inhibited the ventilation, according to Millwood First Assistant Chief Greg Santone.
The home is currently the subject of construction work, and the tarp could be seen on the second-floor exterior.
“Upon further investigation, we found that the contractor, in doing extensive work to the second floor of the house, had actually covered the chimney with the tarp," he said. Santone added that a homeowner started the furnace while this happened, leading to smoke build up on the second floor.
A FAST team from Ossining came as a precaution.
The tarp was removed from portions of the building, Santone said, allowing for ventilation. The carbon monoxide level dropped and firefighters turned the house back over to the owner “with very little damage.”
The house's address is 732 Quaker Rd. and it has a Chappaqua zip code. It is close by to downtown Millwood, and is in the Millwood Fire District.