A house in the Yeshiva Farm Settlement in New Castle sustained severe damage Friday night due to an electrical fire, Mount Kisco Fire Chief Tom Jackson said.
The fire was accidental and caused by a pinched wire in a second-floor bedroom, he said. There were no injuries and people who were in the building at the time got out.
The home was located off of the northern stretch of Nitra Road. The religious settlement is in New Castle's northeastern panhandle and includes a Jewish school for kids.
Residents of the home will not be able to return yet because the fire has left it unlivable, Jackson said. A family living there reported smelling smoke, he said.
Mount Kisco's fire department dispatched at 9:48 p.m., while mutual aid was provided on scene by firefighters from Millwood, Bedford Hills, Katonah and Yorktown Heights. Firefighters from Chappaqua and Armonk were on standby in Mount Kisco. Also on the scene were the Mount Kisco Volunteer Ambulance Corps and New Castle police.
The home sustained significant fire damage on the second floor, while the first floor had water damage, Jackson said. Two lines had to be stretched to deal with it.
It under less than half an hour to put out the fire, Jackson said, but there was a challenge in dealing with it due to visibility.
“It was very dark, very smoky, it hadn't vented itself and when they got upstairs you couldn't see anything," he said.
The area does not have easily accessible water. Because of this, each fire department that provided mutual brought in tankers, Jackson said.