If you have struggled to sell your home lately you're not alone. As much as we would like to place all the blame on the current real estate market, some responsibility belongs to the seller. Use these 10 tips to help generate some interest for your home:
1. Can the clutter. Pack up knickknacks, pictures, piles of paper and furniture that makes the place look crowded.
2. Let the light in. Take down any heavy drapes. People like natural light, don't hide it!
3. Scrub-a-dub-dub. Shampoo soiled carpets. Scrub the front door. Repaint scuffed walls. Tidy up the lawn and trim the shrubs.
4. Get moving on the "honey do" list. Fix everything that is in need of repair. If a buyer has less work to do they're more likely to be interested.
5. Enhance the view. Erect a fence or plant shrubbery to improve or obscure the view of unattractive nearby properties or streets.
6. Try weeknights. Holding an open house on Wednesday evening may attract a different crowd.
7. Ask for criticism. Consult with buyers’ agents for their feedback.
8. Owners should not be present during showings. They should vacate when potential buyers come around so the buyers can talk freely.
9. Offer "rent to own". Give a potential buyer a little credit. Becoming a landlord may keep the seller from having to shoulder two mortgages.
10. Drop the asking price. And figure out the lowest amount you're willing or able to accept.
I am the Principal Broker of Grand Lux Realty, Inc, located in Armonk, NY. I invite you to visit our website for more real estate tips or call our office at 914-273-9688.