.

Millwood Home Damaged by Fire from Fireplace

A fire that began in the fireplace of a Millwood home spread to the top floor and caused significant damage, according to the fire chief.

A home in Millwood sustained significant damage Sunday night from a fire that spread from a fireplace, Millwood Fire Chief Michael Horan confirmed.

The initial response came at 9:01 p.m. Sunday, Horan said.

“Upon arrival, [there were] heavy flames through the second-floor chimney area.”

The 3-story home, located at 37 Shinglehouse Road, had "extensive damage" to its attic, Horan said, along with structural damage to its roof members. 

The fire was put out in under 20 minutes, Horan said.

A family living in the home had just returned from vacation, the chief said, and nobody was injured. The fire was determined to be accidental, going from the fireplace and into the attic. The family cannot return to the home yet, Horan told reporters afterward, because it is now unlivable.

Mutual aid was provided on scence by firefighters from Chappaqua, Mount Kisco and Ossining, along with the Chappaqua Volunteer Ambulance Corps. The Briarcliff Manor Fire Department was on stand by.

New Castle police blocked off both intersections with Shinglehouse, at Route 100 and Pinesbridge Road, in order to keep firefighters safe, Horan explained.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »